My photo
Madison, WI, United States

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Proper Hip Function and Why You Need It

Anybody that’s done much training with me can vouch for the fact that I have my athletes (and myself for that matter in my own training) do a lot of squatting, lunging, deadlifting, jumping, sprinting, and kettlebell swinging. And not only do we do a lot of those exercises and their variations, but I harp on proper technique and using a full range of motion.

Why do I like all of these exercises? Because these are some of the best exercises (and the Olympic Lifts) for developing proper strength, range of motion, and overall function of the hip joint. But why strong, healthy hips? What’s that matter? I would venture to say that more so than any other joint, the hip has the most significant effect, positive or negative, on the overall health and function of the rest of the body. Do you have knee pain when you go for a run or walk up the stairs? Check your hips. Does your back hurt when you pick something up off the ground? Examine your hips. Shoulders hurt when you reach overhead? Probably related to your hips.

I would also make the case that the majority of movements you perform doing day-to-day activities center on your hips doing their job properly. Walking, sitting, standing, climbing into your truck, riding your bike, picking up your kids, carrying anything, sports, all of these use your hips to at least a minimal degree.

Let’s perform a little thought experiment. Say your shoulder is hurt and you’re in a sling. What can’t you do? Better yet, what can you still do? You can still get through the day fairly well. Sure, there are some things that are going to be inconvenient or annoying to do, but for the most part you can still function as you should.

What about your knee? If your knee is immobilized, you're definitely more reduced in your functioning, but you could still hobble around on one leg and a pair of crutches, can probably work your way up a flight of stairs, and you can still sit down and stand up (albeit awkwardly).

Now what if just one of your hips were totally immobilized? I hope you like bed rest because you’re not going anywhere or doing anything! And it bothers me how many people I see on a daily basis who to some degree or another don’t have full functioning of their hips and it limits what they can do. Sometimes they don’t even seem to care or notice. They’re so used to less than optimal hip function that they don’t know what they’re missing out on.

And all of that is why I pick the exercises that I do for myself and my athletes. I could go on about the specific mechanics about these exercises and how and why they work, but that would be a lengthy post. Instead I’ll direct your attention to this article about the why and how of proper squatting. Also take a look at the video below of Mark Rippetoe (the coach when it comes to barbell training) explaining the role of the hamstrings in front squats and back squats and the subtle differences between the two. Post any thoughts, questions or clarifications to comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment